It maybe in the 90's here but yes we went to town on some tomato soup, apple slices and cheese, for lunch. I'm so happy Charlie and I share the same love of all things soup! This tomato soup never fails, it's a fall/winter staple (or a random Summer lunch) in our house. Usually I slow cook a large batch, we eat half for dinner with grilled cheese sandwiches (of course!) and freeze the rest in small mason jars --- the perfect size to defrost for lunch.
serves: 8 - 10 prep time: 15 min cook time: 6-8 hours crockpot "low"
- 3 lbs of vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1 med onion, chopped
- 1 cup cooking sherry
- 3 T granulated white sugar
- 1 gluten-free chicken bouillon cube
- 2 T chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup heavy cream
- sea salt & cracked pepper to taste
tomatoes/ sour cream and / or Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Wash all tomato's, cut them in quarters and place in crockpot.
- Chop onion and add.
- Cover with tomato juice and sherry.
- Add bouillon cube.
- Stir in sugar.
- Add chopped basil.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 - 8 hrs.
- Use an immersion blender to purée the tomatoes, or transfer soup into a blender in small batches and blend.
- Stir in cream and enjoy!