6/12/14

How to get your toddler to eat their veggies…or their food at all


I'm linking up again today with some awesome blogging momma's to discuss, how to get your toddler to eat. This is something I'm currently struggling through.  Charlie just flat out won't eat! Unless it's puffs, cheerio's, milk or water. He will stand at our pantry door insisting on having a "nak" (snack) till he's blue in the face and if that "nak" is from the refrigerator forget it he loudly yells "Lola" as he throws it on the floor for the dog!  Side note- the dog has packed on the pounds since Charlie has decided to go on a hunger strike! We've been in this battle for a while, he's lactose intolerant and drinks Lactaid (which has been wonderful), but he likes it a little too much, he would rather be on a liquid diet filling up on milk (which he does) and then refusing to eat.  We began dilating his milk with water (per his Dr.).  Because he was drinking way too much and little did I know could cause health problems.  Thank god he's fine and now we have cut his intake by substating water at times but he's is still filling him up on liquids....not to mention the amount of diapers we fly through with this liquid diet of his!  So we've had to get really creative recently to sneak in food that does not come from a cardboard box or jug!

1. Instead of calling meals by their names breakfast, lunch, & dinner. I call them all snacks! Everything currently is one big snack.  This works at times.

2. I go on the hunt for food I can serve or cut into fun shapes. I swear he only loves the cheerioes because he can put his finger in the hole. So I try to make his plate look a little more appealing. His new loves have been apple's cut into little slices, raspberries (again he can put his finger in the hole), small broclie heads we call them "little trees" and unshelled emadame. 



3. Anything that can be dipped is also (usually) a winner at our house. Charlie has a bazare addiction for bbq sauce he will grab it out of the refrigerator and insist on eating it.  Of course he would rather eat just the sauce but he enjoys practing his fork skills, and dipping peas into bbq sauce, totally gross I know! But hey if that's what it takes for him to eat pea's that's just fine with me (the occasional pea will end up in his ear from time to time so full subervision is needed when Charlie eats peas)! He also loves hummus and will go to town (usually) on cut up cucumbers & grape tomatoes, dipping them into the hummus.


4. Charlie's number one love (aside from his milk) has been pot pie's.  He loves them! You can buy the small pot pie's or make your own sneaking in a variety of different veggies and with that creamy dreamy sauce your tot probably won't notice the pea or carrot he just ate.  Amy's brand sells a really good one.  Also, because he prefers to drink I've tried making protein shakes you can find my receipe here.  Sometimes he goes for it other times he throws the cup clear across the room so mad because it's not his milk! Ugh the joys of toddlerhood.

5. The peas are always greener on someone else's plate. At times I will put whatever it is I would like for him to eat on my plate and not offer it to him, sure enough he nose dives right into "my" plate. When all else fails I try really hard not to push it and force feed him.  The last thing I want is for him to develop a food adversion.  Sometimes I will even forgo him sitting in the highchair (which really pains me because I don't want to make this a habit) and allow him to eat standing on his stool at the counter or his little table in the playroom. I figure if that's what it takes some days I just have to go with the toddler flow. And eventually he will come around to eating like a normal person again! It's a wonder how these little one's survive off of puff's and milk! Till then if the dogs not around I check his highchair where I'm sure to find food stashed!


 I hope this helped you momma's with picky eaters. And as I said we are currently struggling through this battle any fun tricks that have worked for you I would to hear.
xo,
Stephanie

10 comments:

  1. You go mama! Food strikes are the worst, but I love the way you handled it. Thanks for the ideas and for linking up with us today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Food strikes really are the worst! It's a wonder how they have sooo much energy!

      Delete
  2. These are great ideas. I like the idea of putting things on your plate and not theirs! Our little Palmer always wants what we have!!

    Alycia//Crazily Normal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's too funny how their little minds work sometimes! Thanks for reading. Good luck with getting your little one to eat. xo, Stephanie

      Delete
  3. Wow! you are like a food artist! I could never come up with all of this to feed my kids. But these were such great tips! Thanks for linking up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks KelseyB! I only wish I was a food artist! I'm a mess in the kitchen (and not even a "hot" mess, just a mess). But with a little pinterest inspiration anything's possible...well that, a microwave and crock pot (my cooking tools). Thanks for reading! xo, Stephanie

      Delete
  4. Oh my, I am soooo sorry it's been such a rough road getting him to eat! I'm not looking forward to the day that Mia decides to boycott all the "good stuff"! But you've done an AMAZING job figuring out what will work to make him eat! Mia is a dipper as well! I'm on the hunt for some healthy recipes for sauces so that I can avoid ketchup and ranch (I have Eric to thank for introducing those to her, ha!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to hear how your home made dipping sauces turn out! What a great idea. xo, Stephanie

      Delete
  5. Love your tips! Call it a snack - genius! We're also big fans of dipping at our house too. What is it about kids and dipping food?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara! I loved reading your post! Thanks for all the great tips.
      xo,
      Stephanie

      Delete